Skip to main content

How do I Get a Library Card?

All North Dakota residents are eligible to receive their first library card at no charge. To Get a Library Card please come into the library with the following documents.

To qualify for a Valley City Barnes County Public Library card, a person must provide one of the following:

  • A. North Dakota driver’s license with current address
  • B. North Dakota ID card with current address
  • C. Military or other photo ID with current North Dakota address
  • D. Consular ID or international driver’s license with current North Dakota address
  • E. VCSU students must show their campus ID and a valid ID from their home state

North Dakota Residents without the above items can still apply for a library card. The library will accept two of the following (one must show the current address):

  • A. North Dakota driver’s license without current address; out-of-state driver’s license
  • B. State, military or other government photo ID without current address
  • C. Current rent receipt or rental/lease agreement D. Utility bill (electric, cable, phone, water) issued within last 30 days showing current address
  • E. Official mail addressed to current address with a current postmark (within 30 days) - bank statement, insurance bill, credit card statement, etc.
  • F. Native American tribal document
  • G. Resident alien card; temporary resident card
  • H. Vehicle registration or proof of insurance
  • I. Anyone without a fixed address may use a letter certifying their Barnes County resident status by the social service agency where he or she receives mail
  • J. Snowbirds must show out of state issued ID and proof of North Dakota residency

For children under the age of 18: They must have a parent or legal guardian present who has a Valley City Barnes County Public Library account in good standing. The child’s library account will be attached to their parent or legal guardian’s account. The parent or legal guardian will be responsible for all fines and fees accrued on the child’s account.

What do I do if I've lost my card?

Please bring in one of the above documents and we will issue you a new card with a 5.00 replacement fee.

To Check out Materials Please see How Do I Borrow Materials 

To Manage your Library Account Please see How Do I Manage my Account