VCBC PL LIBRARY ASSISTANT
• Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Children’s or Adult Services Coordinator, and general supervision of the Library Director.
- Assists Adult or Children’s Services Coordinator with the day-to-day operation of the library including circulation, reference, material selection, programming, public computer assistance, and outreach. Position may constitute work in various departments. Essential Functions and Responsibilities Typical Work: (An employee in this classification may be called upon to perform the following tasks which are illustrative and not exhaustive in nature.)
• Gives friendly and helpful service to library users.
• Conducts circulation activity, entering data into computer, searching and checking customer files, including registering new patrons.
• Checks library materials in and out using the library’s automated library system.
• Fills requests for reserved materials.
• Performs miscellaneous material collection related duties within context of department/branch needs.
• Provides research assistance to patrons, helping them to gain access to both manual and computer generated information.
• Provides input into and may be asked to facilitate new and innovative programs to create interest in and enjoyment of the library.
• Performs a wide variety of routine clerical tasks including maintaining records and collecting and recording fines.
• Attends training courses and undertakes special training activities as directed.
• May represent the library at various promotional events and activities.
• Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• A proactive public service initiative with strong communication and interaction skills and the ability to relate to people of all ages.
• Knowledge, interest and appreciation of literature and other sources of information available at the library.
• Ability to provide research assistance.
• Ability to assist in organizing activities and to perform routine tasks.
• Ability to use computers and perform data entry.
• Exhibits flexibility and possesses a high degree of patience and tolerance.
• Willingness to further credentials by additional education and workshops.
• The qualified candidate must possess a valid state of North Dakota operator license and maintain this license during employment in the position.
• Supervision is exercised over Library Pages and volunteers when appropriate.
Education, Experience, and Training
• High School diploma or equivalent required. College level studies, computer training and library experience highly desired.
The above description is illustrative. It is intended as a guide for personnel actions and must not be taken as a complete itemizing of all facets of any job.
To apply for this job please send Resume, Covert Letter and at Least Three references to email@example.com